I started writing this blog one year ago. In celebration of China Elevator Stories’ first anniversary and for all of you who haven’t been following this blog right from the beginning, I’d like to share five early conversations with you:
- “Are you Chinese?”: The very first post on China Elevator Stories and the conversation that started it all – an encounter in an elevator that made me come up with the name and the idea for this blog.
- “If you could choose a city, which one would it be?”: A conversation with a cab driver in Shenzhen who’s probably the nicest cab driver I’ve encountered so far.
- “Mum, she’s a foreigner”: Another encounter in an elevator in China and one that many of you can probably relate to.
- “Are you married?”: An elderly guy I don’t know asks about my marital status.
- “You can live with me and my wife”: A cab driver offers me to stay at their place in Chongqing.
This last year has been a real life-changer – I came back to China, started working here, met my husband and got married to him, found my love for writing and discovered that I love doing illustrations more than anything else. Now as easy as this all sounds, I’ve put a lot of work into it all and it surely wasn’t easy at the beginning – arriving at a new place where I knew no-one and still needed some getting used to. Now, don’t get me wrong, I love doing what I do and I don’t consider this kind of work stressful but rather enjoyable. I’d like to thank all of you who’ve started reading China Elevator Stories and who’ve supported me this last year. You guys rock!
Which early post is your favorite? I’d love to read about your thoughts.